New article: Installing Linux remotely

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Jul 12 22:20:18 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:17 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>
>> I wrote an article on how to install Linux remotely using Fedora Core
>> 5/OpenSuse 10.1. I'm sure any other modern Linux distro can do this also.
>>
>> Read the full article at:
>> http://linux2.arinet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=2
>>

> Interesting.  I wonder how you tell what IP to connect to, if you'd let
> it set up its network using DHCP?

The way I have most often set it up, is to use a CGI script from a web
server I control to tell the client how to install.  From the Fedora
Core boot CD prompt you might type:

linux text ks=http://myserver.com/cgi-bin/Fc5.cgi?PD=sd&TYPE=developer

These arguments are enough for the web server to generate and return an
appropriate kick-start config file.

The same principle works from a PXE server, or a DHCP server, etc.  All
of these methods can tell the client where to get a kickstart config
file, and that can be a cgi script.  There is no practical limit to what
you can accomplish automatically with a well crafted kickstart config file.

SUSE however, and all other distros that I am aware of, are more limited
in this regard.

One of the things I would love to see is a universal install method that
encompasses the best of all of the auto installers.

For example, the Fedora based kickstart/anaconda method is KERNEL
dependant.  That means if you roll your own Fedora based distro and
create install CDs for it, your CDs can only install the version you
have on the CD.

If I boot an official FC5 boot CD, and try to install FC5 Respin over
the network, it will fail.