Confused... (solved, kinda)

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Thu Jul 13 07:52:54 UTC 2006

> Reg Clemens wrote:
> >
> > #define LINES 500000
> >
> > /* this is the (uncomplteted code to run from AUB to delete
> >         files (coming in) that are already in the database */
> >
> > char    lines[LINES][200];
>
> That 500000*200 may be causing problems.
> Try with 500*200; will the program start?
>
> I remember to have experienced a similar issue in the past.
> A test with 500000*200 on FC5 worked well here.

Well, Roberto has identified the problem, tho I don't understand
the why of what the underlying problem is.

Reducing the 500000 to 300000 and it works, upping it to 400000
causes it to fail.  With 500000 its only 100MB so I dont see how
that should be a problem (the machine has 1GB of memory).
AND of course, the fact that it worked with 500000 up until
yesterday.  Some library must have changed out from under
me,- Ill have to look at the YUM updates.

Its too late tonight to attempt to recode this, but perhaps if I
malloc the space rather than just allocating it.

In any case, I now know what is failing, so I can attack the
problem.

Strange.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens