Audigy 2 has no playback sound

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 08:12:26 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:54, nigel henry wrote:

> > Also, if you use KDE, make sure that aRts is not hanging on to the sound
> > system.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne. That shouldn't be a problem with the Audigy ZS, at least it isn't
> with my Audigy2 soundblaster which is able to handle multiple audio
> streams. I have aRts running, and there's no problem listening to a live
> audio stream at the same time. This can't be said for the other machine
> that uses an Ensoniq card (ens1371 driver). this is not capable of multiple
> audio streams. It's a case here of one or the other. One hilarious side
> affect of this is listening to a live audio stream from Internet radio,
> then opening Gaim. 2 hrs later you shut down the Internet radio, and then
> receive all the sounds that Gaim has tried to send while you were IM'ing.

I use an earlier Audigy card, but I discovered that the aRts setting in KDE
Sound & Multimedia was the cause of the problem I had at that time.  It's the
'Suspend when idle' setting that was too high.  I re-set it to 1 second, and
have used that ever since.

Just in case it helps anyone else .... :-)

Anne