spontaneous unmount - getting warm

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Fri Jul 14 13:14:55 UTC 2006

Hi Terry,

In your case you should upgrade your kernel as mentioned below when you
get a chance:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2006-0574.html
see Nahant list for more info.
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2006-July/msg00062.html)

T. Horsnell wrote:
> Hi Albert,
> So far I've not noticed any problems with /boot, but many
> thanks for the warning. I'll take care there.
>

> Do you think this is a kernel thing? I'm currently running
> RHEL4, kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp on an Opteron system,
> gnome-desktop-2.8.0-5. All disks (including boot disk) are SCSI.

Also, I have not seen this problem on RHEL 3/4 only on Fedora Core 5!, I
had assume you had been using FC5 because your post was to this list.

I don't think it's a kernel bug, just an undocumented/unknown feature,
which can most probably be fixed via some configuration - somewhere ?

> Currently 3 workrounds for me:
>
> 1. Make sure the console GUI is logged out and do the mount from
>    a remote terminal.

or use /etc/fstab
> 2. Log in on the console GUI as a normal user, su to root and
>    do the mount.
>
> 3. Make sure the console GUI is logged out, start a virtual terminal
>    session (CTRL/ALT/F1), log in as root and do the mount.
>

> I wonder why a kernel upgrade should involve a 'grub --install' step?
> I thought all that was necessary was to load the new kernel files into
> /boot and modify grub.conf, and that a 'grub-install' would only be
> necessary if grub itself was changed. I've certainly plonked new
> kernels into /boot (and loaded associated /lib/modules), modified
> grub.conf and they have booted OK...

Yep, I do the same, but you just never know what some of these RPMs do
until it's too late.