OT: USB turntable and Audacity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 18:18:54 UTC 2006

This article intrigues me:
http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1401&src_t=wnp

The software provided is the windows version of audacity, but I was
particularly intrigued by the idea that old 78 rpm vinyl could be recorded at
33.3 or 45 rpm, then converted back to 78 in software.  (I presume there's
some loss of quality.)  There may be some additional software provided to do
that bit, of course, or it may be that the windows audacity software is more
advanced than the version I have here on FC4.

Has anyone done any speed-adjustment work in audacity?  Is it possible?

My main reason for asking is that I currently use long leads across the room
to my soundcard to record.  I also have to keep an ancient turntable to be
swapped in for 78s.  I'd like to think that shelling out £129 would buy some
real advantages, but I'm not sure it will.  And there's still the question of
whether the gizmo will work in linux or whether it would have to be on the
dual-boot laptop.

Anne