OT: USB turntable and Audacity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 20:46:46 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 19:56, Dave M wrote:
> At 02:18 PM 7/14/2006 , Anne wrote:
> >Has anyone done any speed-adjustment work in audacity?  Is it possible?
>
> You can do this with any editing software that will allow you to re-sample
> and equalize the recording.
>
> Run the output of the turntable into your Mic input. Dont use an amplifier
> or equalizer because the equalization curves will be wrong. You then record
> your 78 (I typically use 45rpm) to a an uncompressed file. Then resample
> the file (by a ratio of 78/45) to speed up the playback.

And you do this in audacity?

> After the file is re-sampled, you must then use the software to equalize
> and filter the file. If you are going to convert it to an ogg or mp3, only
> do so after doing all of the above.

Of course, as with graphics, compression is the last step.

> There are lots of equalization curves that where used on 78's so you can
> look up the curves or just do it by ear. Also, not all 78's are actually
> recorded at 78. The speed ranged pretty widely. As high as 80 and as low as
> 75. So if it sounds a bit off key, you can play with the speed ratio in
> order to correct the speed.
>
> Keep in mind that the stylus used on 78's is much larger than the one
> typically used on 33's and 45's. Depending on the turntable it takes a
> little hunting to find the correct stylus for your cartridge. Last time I
> checked, they where still avalable for the Sure cartridge. It is best to
> use the correct stylus, using the smaller stylus can damage the record or
> the stylus and usually results in a rather distorted recording.

I did note that the gizmo does require a separate stylus.  I hadn't thought of
the possibility of using a 78 stylus and recording at 45.  I must look into
that.

> You can find more info here:
>
> http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/repro78/repro.html
>
> It is a good idea to archive the uncompressed file (or use FLAC to save it
> using loss-less compression). Archive.Org is a repository for the
> digitization of these old recordings. I am sure they would love to have a
> copy of whatever you digitize. You can upload the files to their website.
> You may even be able to find digitized copies of your recordings are
> already there.
>
> Feel free to contact me off list if you have questions.

Thanks for all the info and links.  I did quite a bit of transferring to CD a
few years back, but never got around to the 78s, and there are still a good
few other oddments, 45s, and 7" 33s for instance, that I ought to tackle.
It's not worth the bother for standard classics, but there's quite a lot that
I'll never find again, and would like to keep.  I have a feeling that I may
be asking you for help later.

Anne