cpuspeed stuck in lowest speed after hibernate ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 15 14:08:17 UTC 2006

> If you're running cpuspeed, then send that process a SIGUSR1:
>
> 	# killall -USR1 cpuspeed

Something odd is happening.

If I run then above I get

cpuspeed: no process kill

strange, as I know cpuspeed was being used.... If I try and start it by hand I
get

[root at localhost ~]# cpuspeed
Error: No speed steps could be determined!

Which is even stranger, as I know this machine does speed step. It has been
for a good few years now.

Also now I cannot get back to a state with it working by rebooting. it seems
permanently off.

One thing which I am now wondering if it could be related, is this morning,
for the first time I got a bios warning about my ac adaptor not being
recognised and the system not working at optimal performance. Could this be
related, and what "not optimal performance" means - Is it possible the bios
does not let the system run at full speed if it cannot recognize the ac
adaptor. ?

I have a dell 8600 running FC5.

cheers Chris