unable to su - to root or to any user on FC3 (solved)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 15 20:46:23 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 20:13 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:
> On 7/15/06, Ankush Grover <ankush174 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hey friends,
> >
> >  I ran short of space on my server FC3 today I installed 200 GB hard
> > disk on the server. Created new partitions and in init 1 level
> > transfer the data of /home and some other data partitions onto the new
> > hard disk.
> >
> > I used cp -rvp  for copying the contents.
> >
> > Everything is working fine except I can't su - to root or to any user.
> > I checked the logs in init 1 level it shows
> >
> >  pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: '/' owner GID!=0
> >
> > Than I chown root.root /
> >
> > Now the above message is not coming but the below messages are there
> >
> > unix_chkpasswd[4605]: password check for user(xxxxx)
> >  mail su (pam_unix) [4604]: authentication failure: logname=uid=600
> > euid=600 tty = ruser=xxxx rhost = user=root
> >
> > I am giving the correct password but I am not able to su -  where can
> > be the problem.
> >
> chmod 4755 /bin/su ---> solved the problem
>
> Regards
>
> Ankush Grover
You are saying it but what you are saying is hard to believe. You are
trying to su in inti level 1. Only root can be in init level 1. When you
boot to init level 1 you don't even enter a passwd.

There is something fishy with the description of what you are doing.

CHUBBY CHECKER just had a CHICKEN SANDWICH in downtown DULUTH!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net