Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jul 16 01:48:29 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 02:47, nigel henry wrote:
> [...]
> > after you chain to it. Were you using a different drive
> > configuration when Grub was installed? If so, you may have to
> > re-install Grub after booting FC1. But make sure you are installing
> > it to the MBR on hde, and not overwriting your working Grub install.
> > Then make sure you are chainloading to the right place.
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> Hi Mikkel. Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying various
> incantations, then the other machines psu fan stopped (ran out of oil) and
> tripped the psu's thermal cutout, so I had to spend a bit of time fixing
> that.
> Anyway back to the job in hand.
>
> I'v actually just got FC1 to boot from the main bootloader in hda, but that
> is from a kernel entry, not the chainloader. All I get from trying to
> chainload is a grub prompt.
>
> Running /sbin/grub I tried different drives to see if grub> root (hdx,0)
> would find somewhere to put FC1's bootloader. grub> root (hd2,0) printed
> the following, after also running grub> setup (hd2).
>
> grub> root (hd2,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> grub> setup (hd2)
>  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
>  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
>  Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
>  Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd2)"...  15 sectors are
> embedded. succeeded
>  Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd2) (hd2)1+15 p
> (hd2,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
> Done.
>
> There's some weird stuff going on here, as (hd2) hdc, is the cdwriter, and
> when I ran grub> setup (hd2) the writers light was flickering quite a bit,
> but as you can see from the output above, the bootloader installed ok.
>
> Another thing that is a bit weird, is that the kernel entries in grub.conf,
> apart from the latest from fedora legacy show a strange entry after
> label=/. Again, as below.
> LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi   (perhaps this has something to do with Win ME
> identifying the IDE PCI adaptor card as a scsi controller)
>
> I've never seen that before.
>
> Quite what the situation is with the cdwriter now, I don't know. It wasn't
> showing up in the mobo's BIOS before. Only the cdrom drive (hdd), and the
> dvdrom (hdg) which I couldn't boot a distro from were there.
>
> As I can boot an FC1 kernel from the main bootloader, the harddrive on the
> IDE PCI adaptor card is obviously accessable, but there is obviously some
> problem with the BIOS regarding drive ID's. Webmin on FC1 still shows the
> harddrive on the IDE PCI adaptor card as IDE device E, and yet the mobo's
> BIOS is identifying this same harddrive as hdc.
>
> Anyway, the only problem left now is accessing the Grub menu. I've been
> back into FC1, and changed the splashimage from (hd4,0) to (hd2,0), but
> still only get the Grub prompt when trying to chainload to (hd2,0) hdc1,

Update.

Back into FC2's grub.conf, and adding yet another chainloader entry as below.
title FC1 chainloading to (hd2)
root (hd2)
chainloader +1

Shutdown, reboot, then choose "FC1 chainloading to (hd2)" from Grubs menu, and
Eureka, I'm chainloaded to FC1's Grub menu. Job done I think, but this has
taken nearly 2 years to sort this problem. Next thing is to find out what has
happened to the cdwriter that was using hdc, but thats for another day.

Nigel.