Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 18:58:30 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 01:38, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > I found no simple, clear instructions along the lines of "Got Fedora
> > 5?  A Web server already installed?  Sendmail already set up?  Well
> > then, here's what you do: ..."
> Do you expect me to explain how to set up a webserver and the MTA they
> are using? This is beyond the scope of rt3.

I still haven't installed this myself but the other packages you
need to make it work should either be dependencies or you should
document the yum install instructions to get them - probably
the latter for the MTA since you might provide the mail setup
for sendmail but the system is using postfix.

> >   Instead, I found a README.fedora that
> > was inadequate at best,
>
> What did you find to be inadequate?

Can you start a wiki page for it at:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?InstallationGuides?
That will serve a dual purpose of being able to provide
updated documentation and also letting people know
that the package exists even if they aren't current
fedora users.

The big problem I found with the other RPM packaged (for
Centos) version was that it moved things to non-standard
locations so contributed add-ons like Asset Tracker
would not install. On the other hand, having all the
perl module dependencies bundled is a real time-saver
for the install. If I do another one on Centos I may
use the RPM to get all the dependencies, then replace
the actual program with the stock version.   The Centos
version also has a separate rt-mail-dispatcher package
that lets you set up rt.yourdomain.com and then mail to
queuename at rt.yourdomain.com without having to add aliases
for every queue.

--
  Les Mikesell