Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 17 07:38:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 16:02 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

>  >
>  > On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 01:41 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>  > > Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > Mime-Version: 1.0
>  > >  >
>  > >  > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 09:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>  > >  > > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 10:17 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>  > >  > > > I am looking for an issue tracking tool running on Fedora, preferably
>  > >  > > > open source, that will accept incoming email replies to a comment on a
>  > >  > > > particular issue as a new comment for that issue.  I think Bugzilla
>  > >  > > > can do it but I haven't figured out yet how to make it work.  Does
>  > >  > > > anyone with experience using rt3 or trac know if either of these tools
>  > >  > > > supports such strong email integration?
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > RT3 interacts very well with email and it is now packaged in fedora
>  > >  > > extras so it shouldn't be difficult to install.
>  > >  > It's in FE for > 1/2 year, and haven't receive _any_ PRs on it since
>  > >  > then nor complaints about configuring it since then.
>  > >
>  > > Get ready.  I'll have some for you real soon now.  Here's a start:
>  > >
>  > > I found no simple, clear instructions along the lines of "Got Fedora
>  > > 5?  A Web server already installed?  Sendmail already set up?  Well
>  > > then, here's what you do: ..."
>  > Do you expect me to explain how to set up a webserver and the MTA they
>  > are using? This is beyond the scope of rt3.
>
> No, of course not.  I was thinking that the Fedora RT3 RPM should
> assume a default webserver setup, possibly running a post-install
> script to verify that assumption.  If verified, then the RT3 web files
> should be placed in /var/www/html/rt3, rather than /var/www/rt3.  This
> is what seemed like a no-brainer to me.  I could be wrong however.

If the rt3 package was being reviewed for Extras now, it wouldn't be
allowed in /var/www/rt3, let alone /var/www/html. Web apps in Extras
must now go in /usr/share.

See: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#WebApplications

> Configuring the mail-interface ... [this is the missing info that had
> me ready to scream.  I would suggest we add aliases to etc/aliases
> automagically for correspondence and comments.  Is one pair enough or
> does there need to be a pair for each queue?]

Auto-adding aliases sounds like a bad idea to me; far too easy to get it
wrong and/or clobber an existing address.

> SELinux ...

Does rt3 need any SELinux adjustments other than setting the context
of /var/cache/rt3, which is already included in targeted policy on FC5?

Paul.