tg3 networking issue

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Jul 17 16:03:16 UTC 2006

Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently updated to kernel 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 on my FC5 laptop. Not
> sure if it's related but now networking stops working intermittently.
> The driver used is tg3 for a Broadcom  BCM5789 nic. In /var/log/messages
> I see:
>
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> tg3: eth0: transmit timed out, resetting
> tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=2c00 enable_bit=2
> tg3: eth0: Link is down.
> tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
> tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
>
> Doing a $sudo /sbin/service network restart immediately solves the
> problem. I only see this happen with the download of the FC5 Unity DVD
> torrent. Not with small fish like surfing or getting my mail from an
> imap server on the LAN. Has anyone seen something similar? Any
> suggestions how I can pinpoint/fix this?

i had/have what sounds to be exactly the same problem.  see my post from
april: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-April/msg04485.html

the problem seems to come and go.  i never found a solution and no one
else seemed to be able to offer any advice at the time.

--
Anthony
http://messinet.com