DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 18 04:08:31 UTC 2006

Albert Graham:
>>> Well, if believe your own words in this case, let's just all agree to
>>> remove the dot from the 0 altogether! and the entire problem has gone
>>> away.

Tim:
>> Only your problem goes away, for many others not being able to quickly
>> tell them apart is a big problem.

Albert Graham:
> Let's hope so.

You want to fix your problem, but create one for other people?  Removing
a unique zero versus 0 marker, whether it be a dot, slash, or something
else, isn't a good idea.  But it's what you've just argued.

>> Short answer:  If *YOU* do not like this font, use another font!

> And I will, but this is not about *ME* it's about usability is not NOT!

It surely seems that way, as nobody else seems to think the 0 looks like
an 8.

>>> I've seen a few posts on this thread where people are are comparing
>>> Letter O and Number 0, well firstly, O and 0 are not usually used in
>>> the same context and when they are, if a mistake is made, it usually
>>> does not matter, for example, if I say I'm going to pay back that loan
>>> of $1OOO, you know what I mean, that would even stand up in Judge
>>> Judy's court.

>> Load of nonsense.  The letter O and numeral 0 are *VERY* often used
>> together in sequences of characters where it could be one or the other,
>> especially on computers (command line parameters, product codes,
>> passwords, serial numbers [sic] that aren't always numbers), and it's
>> essential that you use the right one.

> You did not read the next paragraph did you!

Yes, I did.  But I'm wasn't responding to that.  I was countering the
assertion that O and 0 aren't usually encountered together (they are),
and that it's not important (it is).  I'm yet to see anyone else, other
than you, confuse 0 and 8.

I read messages from the public lists.