MySQL BackUp

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jul 18 17:12:47 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian schrieb:

>On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:13 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

[ ... ]

>>Can I have incremental backup of MySQL Database and how do i do it
>>

>short answer -- NO.
>Only if you had a transaction log that spanned the time between backups
>would this even remotely be possible.
>
>I would NEVER consider doing an incremental back up on a database.  The
>data is only consistent at a given point in time and there would be an
>enormous risk of inconsistencies appearing if the restore was done in an
>improper sequence (even if it were possible, which AFAIK it is not).
>

>>Kaushal

Doing backups for a valid restore is a serious topic for RDBMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_management_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID

Just doing a copy (cp, rsync, "whatever") of the MySQL DB files is worst
you can do. Reading the MySQL documentation is important.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/backup.html

You too should pay attention to different DB types MyISAM (-> mysqldump
parameter --opt) and InnoDB (-> mysqldump parameter --single-transaction).

Alexander