Installing or restoring MBR?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 19 01:53:03 UTC 2006

Ben Stringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:35 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> Sigh, I blew away my MBR so my Fedora cannot boot.
>>
>> Can I use grub-install to restore my MBR or is there a seperate process for that?
>
> What I do is:
>
> 1) Boot from rescue CD (first Fedora disk is fine)
> 2) Run grub from command line
> 3) Enter:
>      root (hd0,0)
>      setup (hd0)
>      quit
> 4) reboot
>
> Of course, change the above to suit your disk arrangement.
>
> Cheers, Ben

A way that I restore the mbr is by booting with the first install CD or
DVD. I then type 'linux rescue' at the prompt.
Once detection of the installation is achieved, I type
chroot /mnt/sysimage
to get to a working environment.
Next, I type 'grub-install /dev/hda' (change to your boot drive, like
/dev/sda)

exit and exit should reboot the computer (I type reboot instead) and
grub should be installed in the MBR. The computer should boot from grub
after the process is complete.

Jim

--
Some people live life in the fast lane.  You're in oncoming traffic.