minegetty

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jul 19 14:36:00 UTC 2006

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:33:18 +0530
> Marq <vikramns at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can any one let me know how to use the minegetty to connect to a router or
>> switch using a serial cable
>
> From: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/getty-mingetty.html
> QUOTE:
> mingetty is designed to be a minimal getty for the virtual terminals on the the
> workstation's monitor and keyboard. It has no support for serial lines.
> END OF QUOTE
>
> So, it appears that the answer to your question is, you don't.

Even the standard getty or mgetty would probably be the wrong too
for this job. They are designed to handle incoming connections. It
sounds like you want to connect to the monitor port of the router.
For a fully interactive connection, you would probably find minicom
the right tool for the job. If you are after something else, you
would be better off explaining what you are trying to do, so we can
suggest some tools that would do the job for you.

Mikkel