Connect X to X

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 19:20:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:50 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
>         If you only want the remote desktop
>         instead of a local one, you can enable xdm logins on the
>         remote,
>         start the local machine at init level 3, then start X locally
>         with
>         X -query remote_host
>         and get a graphic login prompt followed by the remote desktop.
>
> Could you please explain this a little bit more or tell me where to
> read about it?
> i am interested it that.

I'm actually running the k12ltsp modified version of FC5 so I'm not
quite sure what you have to do to enable XDMCP logins in a stock
version (k12ltsp adds the ability to network-boot thin clients and
thus has it on by default).  In earlier versions you would run
gdmconfig, click the XDMCP tab, then check the box that says
'enable XDMCP', but it is changed in FC5.  It may be under
System/Administration/Login Screen.

On the local side, just set up the machine not to start X automatically.
If it already does you would edit /etc/inittab and change the line
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:
so you will boot to a text login prompt.  Then you type
X -query remote_server
to start X locally but run the desktop from a remote machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com