trouble booting FC5. Please help!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jul 19 21:53:20 UTC 2006

Jacob Henke wrote:
> Okay, I had installed FC5 on my harddrive using pretty much the default
> options, then (much later) I put in a second hard-drive and decided to
> install Windows I deleted the First small petition on the first hard
> drive and everything else on the second and installed Windows. [For some
> reason it didn't work, so I gave up on windows.] Thats when I realized I
> couldn't boot Fedora anymore. I tried searching for a way to reinstall
> GRUB (such as the rescue disk and so forth) eventually I just
> reinstalled Fedora Core 5 on the second Hard Disk. Now I have GRUB back
> but it only boots the second FC5 instilation. What I need is to be able
> to boot the First instillation on the First Hard Disk. Here's my setup:

What you did when you deleted the small partition was delete most of
Grub, as well as your kernels. What you deleted was the /boot
partition. If you look at /boot on the second FC5 installation, you
will see what you deleted. The reason you can no longer boot the
first FC5 installation is that you do not have any kernel, or inital
ram disk. Getting it back is going to be interesting. Probably the
simplest way would be to do an upgrade install on the first drive.

Depending on what version of windows you tried to install, the
problem may have been that you were trying to install to the second
drive. You can probably access the information on the first install
by doing something like this:

mkdir /mnt/oldroot
mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt/oldroot

Mikkel