How to connect remotely to GDM?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 08:38:43 UTC 2006

Janina Sajka wrote:
> Nigel Wade writes:
>
>>Setting up freenx/nx and the NX client is much simpler, and will provide
>>you with a much better environment. We have pretty much abandoned Exceed in
>>favour of NX.
>>

> But, do you have NX running with gdm? We've only been able to get our
> FreeNX server plus NX clients working with KDE.

I've not tried to get it to work with gdm. It works with Gnome and KDE and
provides the remote session login facility we require (and vastly better than
X/gdm when working from home over slow DSL lines).

Is there some reason you want to put gdm in between NX and the login session?
Gdm and NX are essentially providing the same function, so I'm not sure why you
want both.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555