Connect X to X

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 08:51:03 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:50 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
>
>>        If you only want the remote desktop
>>        instead of a local one, you can enable xdm logins on the
>>        remote,
>>        start the local machine at init level 3, then start X locally
>>        with
>>        X -query remote_host
>>        and get a graphic login prompt followed by the remote desktop.
>>
>>Could you please explain this a little bit more or tell me where to
>>read about it?
>>i am interested it that.
>

> I'm actually running the k12ltsp modified version of FC5 so I'm not
> quite sure what you have to do to enable XDMCP logins in a stock
> version (k12ltsp adds the ability to network-boot thin clients and
> thus has it on by default).  In earlier versions you would run
> gdmconfig, click the XDMCP tab, then check the box that says
> 'enable XDMCP', but it is changed in FC5.  It may be under
> System/Administration/Login Screen.
>
> On the local side, just set up the machine not to start X automatically.
> If it already does you would edit /etc/inittab and change the line
> id:5:initdefault:
> id:3:initdefault:
> so you will boot to a text login prompt.  Then you type
> X -query remote_server
> to start X locally but run the desktop from a remote machine.

There's no need to disable X locally.

Locally, by default, X runs on display :0. To have both a local session and a
remote session simultaneously all you need to do is start another X session on a
different display. To start the remote session on display :1 you run:

X :1 -query remote_server

then you have your local session on :0 (ctrl-alt-F7) and the remote session on
:1 (ctrl-alt-F8).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555