Perhiperal setups in Fedora

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Thu Jul 20 11:21:35 UTC 2006

I just need to say this.  I have been a long time user of Linux but never
one to do anything with it other than use the few applications that I can
get to work with it.  As a result I don't read much about what is happening
with Linux, regardless the distribution as I don't need it. But I do like
Linux for what it is.

But, my concern here is that Linux has come a long way since we all first
started using it 10 years ago or earlier. But it still hasn't come far
enough ahead to act like Windows (for example) that when you install Linux
from scratch - it simply doesn't find all the peripherals such as scanners
that Windows finds so easily?  I wonder why after all these years.

With Fedora Core 5 for example - it has done better than previous releases
which I was very happy with. It found my printer and sound equipment and
generally was up above previous releases.  I finally said - hey, this is
progress.  But than as usual - the scanner was working but than I wasn't
surprised.

So, I am not complaining here but just had to write and express my thoughts
about how Linux  while it is very powerful and dependable and reliable - it
just is not yet up to speed to other operating systems that makes life a
lot easier for the average user.  I am told that in time, Fedora (Redhat)
will reach that point and software writers will start writing more
applications for Linux.  Making it attractive for the average public to
move over from Windows etc. etc..

Just my thoughts fellow.  Nothing more..

Cheers..

---
Ted Gervais,
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada