Checking internet connection without a winbox

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 20 14:55:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 08:44 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> No, it's not an internal winmodem, it's a regular cable modem.
>
> I would imagine that a linux dialer program could do it. I did not
> know about the aformentioned kppp, and I'll look into it.
>
> As for Guillermo's suggestion about checking half/ full duplex on the
> modem, I see nothing of the sort in the modem's control panel. So I
> don't know one way or the other.
>
> In any case, the computer and modem in question are in Haifa and
> because of the current situation we are not returning there for at
> least a few more days. Good thing that I backed up the previous night
> and I have all my files, email, etc on disk with me here. When I
> return I'll look into kppp and see where that leads me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://dotancohen.com

I am sorry I mentioned kppp. I was confused by the dial in phrase also.
But I need some clarification.
Plugging in you computer to the internet port of the cable modem should
just work.
The Windows configuration stuff that comes from the cable company is for
configuring the cable modem to talk to cable company's server.
When I was in this position (with my dsl company, and I believe my cable
modem colleagues did the same) I called the internet suppler and told
them to help me configure the modem by hand. They can do that. At least
they did for me.

I hope things quiet down soon.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>