beamer AND lcd panel

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Jul 20 18:24:53 UTC 2006

François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop (Qosmio F20) running FC4. It has a nvidia
> graphic card (GeForce 6600) and I installed the nvidia drivers from
> nvidia site. Works fine.
>
> But I didn't find how to use both lcd panel and projector with this
> laptop. I must have two xorg.conf files: one for the lcd panel and one
> when I want to use a beamer; in that case there is no display at all on
> the lcd panel.
>
> Does anybody know how to configure xorg to have both display.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Two points here:

1.  Default video mode for laptop cards are sometimes BIOS settable.
2.  Default video mode for every video driver may be different.

For example:

The radeon driver will 'mirror' the video to the external vga adapter.
In this mode, just plug in the projector and it will be a mirror of the
screen display.  HOWEVER, any application that uses direct access to the
video card (such as a video player) will not send it to the projector.

The commercial ati driver fglrx, does NOT mirror the display by
default.  However, if I use the laptop CRT/LCD buttons to switch to
external, then start X, it will even do videos.

Steps with fglrx driver:
sudo init 3
close up and head to meeting
plug into projector
hit CRT/LCD button  -- for DELL Latitude D600 is <Fn>F8
I now see my display on the projector
sudo init 5