trouble booting FC5. Please help!

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 01:51:31 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 7:25 PM -0400 7/20/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> It is probably possible to boot both installations from the same boot
>> partition and let the root filesystem be referenced to match the
>> particular installation. I think it would be a mess during updates to
>> the kernel though.
>
> I do that and have no trouble (FC3 on LogVol00, FC5 on LogVol02).  OK, the
> FC5 installer did remove all my other kernels, but I'd made a backup so it
> was easily fixed.  Yum updates don't seem to have any problem.
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

Thanks for pointing out that it is possible to use the same boot
partition between installs. I take it that when kernel rpms are removed
from one installation, they only remove the entry related to the same
version kernel. Additionally, the rpm database from each install only
sees the kernels related to the installation and just carry on as if the
entries were not in the grub files.
Thinking about it, once you mentioned the possibility, dual
installations, using one /boot partition might not be that bad of an
arrangement. I assumed the programs were "higher level intelligence" and
assumed the program was more aware.
I have to stop giving programs too much human awareness and think in
bytes or read the source code. :-)

Jim
--
Some people live life in the fast lane.  You're in oncoming traffic.