apache document root on mounted drive on FC5

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 23 22:45:37 UTC 2006

James Thorpe wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've got a mounted drive with several directories under it, all of which
> can be properly accessed through samba.  I'm now attempting to use one
> of these as the apache document root, but whatever it tries to serve up
> gives a 403 forbidden.  Looking in the apache error_log, it seems that
> apache itself doesn't have access to these folders.  I've been playing
> around with permissions to no avail, and SELinux is turned off.  As soon
> as I move the document root back to /var/www/html, it's fine again.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> James.

What are the ownership/permissions of the directory tree? The
directories have to have to be both readable and searchable by the
user or group Apache is running as. (Usually user or group apache.)
If they are not owned by ether user or group apache, then they will
need to be world readable/searchable. The files only need to be
readable. This applies not only to the directories the files are in,
but the directory tree back to the root directory.

Mikkel