Running LVM to repartition HD question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 24 10:29:47 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> It's usually OK to share /boot between two different OS releases, but
>>
>> you may have problems if you share it between two instances of the
>> same
>> release, as there may be files of the same name from each
>> installation.
>> So if you upgrade your kernel in one instance, it may delete the
>> kernel
>> being used by the other instance.
>
> Could you please explain in more detail.  TIA.  I'll not test
> multi-boot with FC5_64 and FC5 32bit nor any version of FC.  I'll test
> installing Knoppix on HD.

Suppose you have FC5 i386 and FC5 x86_64 sharing /boot. You update one
of them to the latest kernel, which is 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.

This puts the following files in /boot:

config-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
initrd-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.img
System.map-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5

You then boot the other one and "yum update" that one. Guess what happens...

Paul.