Cannot use neither rpm nor yum. Error message

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Jul 25 00:24:40 UTC 2006

On 24Jul2006 19:37, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
| David Desscan writes:
| >I cannot use neither yum nor rpm after I compiled and installed
| >openssl-0.9.8.  I did the following before make install: [...]
| >rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.5 : cannot open
| >shared object file: No such file or directory
|
| And every time I warn someone against the bright idea of manually compiling
| and installing your own stuff, instead of using rpm to install all software
| on your system, some testosterone-laded ubergeek always begins mouthing off
| how compiling your own stuff and installing it is always better [...]

Sounds like Sam has had to fix this kind of thing too often.

David, the core lesson here is: never install stuff you compile and
build yourself in the vendor namespace (/, /usr etc). Use a --prefix
of /usr/local or /opt/package-version or something like that.

The distribution should be able to expect that the stuff it thought it
managed (via RPM) really is managed that way. It doesn't mean don't
build your own stuff. It does mean don't trash the vendor stuff with
your stuff.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

First off, using it would be a politically correct action, and PC is a
philosophy that myself and several others of the Peevetown population have
vowed to destroy in our lifetime.
        - Vinnie Jordan <vinniej at sco.COM>