Gnome stops wireless

dpet activecs at activ8.net.au
Tue Jul 25 07:13:44 UTC 2006

> On 7/23/06, dpet <activecs at activ8.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> I cant think where to look for this problem. Perhaps someone can help
>> me.
>>        If I run kernel  2.6.16-1.2133 my ipw2200  wireless works
well.
>> If I use a newer kernel (such as 2133  or 2157) it works fine in
level 3
>> text mode, but starting Gnome causes it to stop after a few  seconds
or
>> a couple of minutes. I can't restart it except by rebooting. I don't
>> know why something can be so variable, and don't know where to go
from
>> here.  As far as I can see, no logs tell me anything. Output from
>> ifconfig and iwconfig seem to be the same before and after this
occurs.
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> DP
>> Adelaide South Australia
>>

>> --
>>

> Hi DP!
>
> If you are useing ndiswrapper and you have not established a 16k stack
in
> your kernel the wireless use of the stack plus gnomes use of the stack
may
> well blow your current 4k stack.
>
> A thought.

ipw2200 doesn't require ndiswrapper.  If it works in runlevel 3, then
he
has the right firmware (check ipw2200-firmware-3.0-1.lvn5 from Livna,
though).

Take a look at http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux too.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Thanks for your reply. Exactly as you say, and I thought I had done
everything as per http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux

Just to be sure, I removed Kernel 2157, and installed it again.  Then
the complications arose!  When it attempted to enable eth1 (wireless)
at boot time, it produced a kernel panic, involving acpi and modules.
This problem seems to be affected by the boot parameter acpi=noirq which
I have used up to now on this Toshiba  A4 laptop, to prevent Disabling
IRQ11. It seems "everything" used IRQ11.
Just to add to this, kernel 2133 still functions faithfully, and doesn't
seem to need the IRQ11 anymore!!

	If you think I am currently confused - your right.

DP
South Australia