Burning backup to dvd

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 16:12:48 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:56, Ed Kim wrote:
> Ed Kim wrote:
> > Can you attempt to use a different DVD media?  in the past, when I have
> > seen cdrecord spit,
> >
> > Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)
> >
> > A change in media manufacturers or a double check on +R/-R capabilities
> > and disc types does the trick.

The disk I had been working with was a TDK 1-16x DVD-R disk.  Interestingly,
these disks work without a problem on my stand-alone Lite-On hardware
recorder, yet give endless problems on my daughter's, which is the same model
and age.

I found one Imation DVD-R and issued the burn command again, and to my
surprise it burned immediately.  The burn area looks about the right size,
too, but I can't read it.  I'm guessing that it's not fixed.  Do you think
that's it?

> Scratch that Disk type comment, I am getting it for all DVD media.  I
> would still check the compatibility of your drive with +R or -R media
> though.

It does look as though it was a good part of the problem.

Anne