Permission denied during rpm installation

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:07:19 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> This doesn't answer your question ("What went wrong?"), but when I
> wanted access to my NTFS, I found the following at
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs
>
> $ wget http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
> $ sudo mv /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf.orig
> $ sudo cp -i yum.conf /etc
> $ sudo rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum
> http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
> $ sudo yum install kmod-ntfs
>
> Once I did that, I was able to
>
> $ sudo mount -t ntfs -oro,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/hda1 /c
> have you tried tohave you tried to
> Oh yeah, if you don't have "sudo" set up on your system, you can
> change all of the commands that read:
>
>     sudo this that
>
> to read
>
>     su -c "this that"

I guess its not related to the rpm itself. What I am concerned about
is  the "Permission denied" message. I am doing everthing as "su -"
and yet permission denied??? I have seen one or two similar message
also when I updated (everything) after fresh installation of FC5. Can
somebody tell me what this message mean?

right now I am having "package installed but not installed" problem.
If I querry the rpm it says installed and if I try to remove it, it
says the package is not installed, If I try to reinstall over the
older one it says the package is installed. After several try I have
uninstall through yum and its uninstalled.

Now main question still remains. what is this message? what does it
mean? and how to solve it?

Thanks!