Firefox unable to use shared audio

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 04:21:36 UTC 2006

on 07/25/2006 05:54 PM Andre Costa wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:44:02 -0400
> oleksandr korneta <atenrok at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> on 07/23/2006 01:26 PM Andre Costa wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.macewan.org/2006/06/01/howto-firefox-flash-video-sound-on-ubuntu-linux-dapper/
>>>
>>> Is there anything similar for Fedora? Would I have this problem if I
>>> used the RPM?
>> AFAIK fedora does not ship alsa-oss since fc4. I have the same issue
>> though.
>
> Mmmh... that (Firefox being unable to play sounds if other app is
> accessing /dev/something) is very annoying. Can someone confirm this is
> really due to the lack of some package (eg. alsa-oss) or to Firefox
> being misconfigured on Fedora? I'd really like to solve this issue,
> because, after all, if Ubuntu folks managed to solve it, I can't see
> why we wouldn't be able to do it on Fedora as well.
as far as I understand, this is not firefox's issue, but macromedia
flash plugin does not support alsa output only oss.
There is a thread in archives of this mail list where fedora guys are
explaining why the refuse to support alsa-oss. I use to ask this
question concerning skype, but it is not a problem for me anymore
because skype 1.3 can do alsa, and more than that - I'm not using skype
anymore :)

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./