Permission denied during rpm installation

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 11:12:21 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 11:24 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> > > D'oh, silly me. The answer was there is the first post of this thread.
> > > The file concerned was /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/modules.dep.temp,
> > > probably created during installation of the
> > > kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 package.
> > >
> > > If a file of that name is created by depmod, it should have the
> > > modules_dep_t file context type. However, if it's created by an
> > > unconfined process (e.g. by just doing "touch
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/modules.dep.temp"), it'll get the
> > > modules_object_t context type, which is what caused the problem. So the
> > > question is, how did that file get created?
> > >
> > > It would be useful if you could try uninstalling
> > > kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5, making sure that
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/modules.dep.temp does not exist, making
> > > sure that you're in enforcing mode, then trying to reinstall
> > > kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 and see if the problem happens again.
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > >

> > Hi paul,
> >
> > does date/time stamping the file can create this issue? I am asking
> > this question because I noticed that my system's internal clock is not
> > working (guess battery is dead). I did change it few times because it
> > was showing the wrong date and time but didn't noticed that it was
> > hardware problem. May be this could have affected the date/time stamp
> > of some files. Well I don't know how this affects but is this
> > possible??
> >
> > I haven't fixed the clock yet but I'll do that by today.
>
> Changing the timestamp shouldn't affect the file context.
>
> The modules.dep.temp file shouldn't even exist most of the time, as it's
> just a temp file created by depmod.
>
> Paul.
>
> --

I have checked the /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/
and found
"modules.dep" but not "modules.dep.temp" anymore.
Paul, uninstalling and reinstalling the kernel will be difficult for
me right now because, I had done many things after upgrade to kernel
specially my "nvidia" drivers which is not compatible with the older
kernel version (6.15) and may give more problem. I  think I will stick
with current settings right now until next similar problem arises
(hope not).

Anyway thanks a lot and Good day!