File manipulation ?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 29 21:00:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 12:04 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Erich Carlson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 11:25 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone tell me how to combine a number of
> >> text files into one file?
> >>
> >> I have about fifty open office [.odt] text files
> >> that I would like to combine into one file containing
> >> all of that text.  Nothing I have tried is acceptable
> >> to open office?
> >>

> > have you tried "cat file1 file2 > combinedfile
> >

> Yes, the result was a huge file and OO only displayed one page
> containing the last two lines?
>
> Bob

I would be surprised if odt were really plain text files. I suspect they
would contain OOwrite formating commands which would make combining two
of these files not to work. The file might contain a formatting command
that this is the end of the document which sounds like what is happening
to you. Sound like a tedious job using copy and paste would be a
possibility.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>