File manipulation ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jul 29 21:38:04 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 12:04 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Erich Carlson wrote:

>>> have you tried "cat file1 file2 > combinedfile
>>>

>> Yes, the result was a huge file and OO only displayed one page
>> containing the last two lines?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I would be surprised if odt were really plain text files. I suspect they
> would contain OOwrite formating commands which would make combining two
> of these files not to work. The file might contain a formatting command
> that this is the end of the document which sounds like what is happening
> to you. Sound like a tedious job using copy and paste would be a
> possibility.

Yes, that appears to be the case.

I have been making a collection of notes for a year or more, much of it
obtained from this list but it was just a random collection of files
created with a text editor [e3em] which I needed to organize in some
logical fashion.

I spent most of yesterday copy/pasting into separate files in OO which
saved them as .odt files and I naively thought I could assemble those
files into one big sorted file.  It didn't work for the reasons you
mention.  But OO also allows saving as plain text which I did in less
than an hour and now have 84 pages nicely sorted in the beginnings of
some logical order and can edit further to my satisfaction.

All help is appreciated, thank you.

Bob Goodwin