How to use Apache 2 with HTTPS only?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 30 16:10:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 07:45 -0300, Vinicius wrote:

> I'm using FC5 and Apache 2. Apache 2 is using SSL, but I would like to
> serve only HTTPS.
>
> How to use Apache 2 with HTTPS only, please?

If you're talking about to the public, and it not mattering about to the
localhost, and you mean not serving HTTP and HTTPS, then that's probably
easy enough to do in a few different ways, probably in combination:

Change the Listen directive in the main (HTTP / port 80) configuration
to not listen to the public interface.

Set the DocumentRoot directive in the main configuration so that it
can't serve out the files that your HTTPS site does.  Additionally, use
a re-write rule so that visitors are redirected to the HTTPS address.

You can set up firewall rules blocking port 80, but I'd recommend
against doing this by itself.  You'd be relying on your firewall,
instead of simply configuring the server appropriately.

I read messages from the public lists.