VDQ : Apple Airport Base Station and FC5.ppc

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 30 21:53:54 UTC 2006

Back in the summer of '00, when I bought a new G3 i-Book (from
Terrasoft, with OSX, to be sure, but mostly YellowDog 2.3), I got it with
a wireless card and a thing called an Airport Base Station, which seems to
be basically a wireless router.

The latter has a phone port, which works with both dialup and DSL, and two
ethernet cable ports, one with a circle of doet and one marked <...> (dots
in the middle, not along the bottom).

At that time, using DSL, I was able to connect my desktop to one of those
ethernet ports (I don't recall which), and at the same connect the iBook
wirelessly in the next room.

It had some sort of security, involving a name and a password, both of
which I've long forgotten; and as soon as FC.ppc became available (was
thet FC4 or FC3?), I've run Fedora on it exclusively.

I did once have (and could, maybe, find) directions on how to recover it
under YellowDog 4; but they were both beyond my grasp of linux at the
time, and very hairy. I recall among other things that you had to get the
router you connected it to to use a certain specific IP number before you
could do anything else ....

I currently run a D-Link DI-604 router behind a Motorola SB5100 cable
modem connecting to Adelphia the Utterly Abominable, but hope to have some
other sort of wireless broadband (from a transmission tower on a nearby
hill, I believe) some time in the course of the next month; and there is
also a D-Link 10/100 FastEthernet Switch inside the router with a couple
ports free.

So I have the following Very Dumb Question : Is there a way, under FC5.ppc
(which is currently installed), to regain the use of this thing? A way
that a real sub-technoid could manage? Or is it a paperweight?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler, Neo-
Redneck Retiree,  Not Quite Clueless FC Power User