Dynamic DNS and failed journal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 31 10:08:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 08:53 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> /var/named isn't normally writable by the named process.
>
> Try configuring your DNS server to maintain the DDNS zone file in
> the /var/named/slaves directory instead, which is writable by named.

Is this something that's changed since FC4?  If your DHCP server is
updating MASTER DNS records, then there's no reason that it should have
to be working in the SLAVE subdirectory.  And no DHCP server ought to be
mucking about with slave records.

It (updating master records) certainly works in FC4, though I've set
SELinux options to allow named to overwrite master zone files.

/var/named/
drwxr-x---   5 root    named    4096 Mar 31 10:31 named

/var/named/chroot/
drwxr-x---  6 root  named 4096 Mar 31 10:31 chroot

/var/named/chroot/var/
drwxr-x---    5 root named 4096 Mar 14  2003 var

/var/named/chroot/var/named/
drwxr-x---  4 root  named 4096 Aug 26  2004 named

Record files in the above directory are owned named:named.

I read messages from the public lists.