Dynamic DNS and failed journal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 31 11:33:59 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> It (updating master records) certainly works in FC4, though I've set
>> SELinux options to allow named to overwrite master zone files.

Paul Howarth:
> It can't create new files such as journal files in
> /var/named/chroot/var/named though, as that's only writeable by root.

A bit of an oops with my prior post.  I looked at the wrong server (one
of the slaves).  This is my master server (on FC4, mind you):

ll /var/named/chroot/var/named/ -d
drwxr-x---  6 named named 4096 Jul 31 19:14 /var/named/chroot/var/named/

My master DNS server can write its master records, and journal files, as
directed to by the DHCP server.

> There's also SELinux to consider - see:
> http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/FAQ.php (search for "journal" on
> that page)

Mine's been sitting on permissive for a long time, and is allowed to
write to master files.  I should switch back to enforcing and retest.

> I agree that using the "slaves" directory for this seems wrong; the
> "data" directory would be better, and should also work OK.

Not sure that I've come across an explanation for what the data
directory is there for.

I read messages from the public lists.