Yum messed up again.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jul 31 23:55:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:10:35PM -0400, Poohba wrote:
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: geronimo-specs = 1.0-0.M2.2jpp_7fc is needed
> by package geronimo-specs-compat
> I get that when i $yum update.  Maybe I'm thinking wrong but if yum
> update won't work then I won't be able to update everything and/or
> anything that is remotely related to whatever has the missing dep.
> Correct?
> Could not find update match for geronimo-specs-compat

This isn't "yum messed up", it's "some of the yum repositories you're
looking at are messed up". And "messed up" could simply be "temporarily out
of sync; try again later".

In this case, it looks like geronimo-specs is updated, but
geronimo-specs-compat is not.

First thing I'd try is "yum upgrade geronimo-specs" instead of "yum update
geronimo-specs". This pulls in package-obsoletes information, which is
marginally slower but is usually what you want done.

If that doesn't work, check to make sure you need the compat package. If
not, remove it.