kde in extras - the devel discussion

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin06 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 7 18:13:06 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:35 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
>

>>I have suggested this before, only much more hard'core'.  The "true
>>minimum' needed to initiate an installation is a relatively small
>>packageset that does not require X or a Desktop Environment, in fact I
>>proposed to precook that minimum into a tarball and poop it onto your
>>HDD in one shot, boot into that and bring in what you need in a < 1
>>minute install action.
>>
>>Put another way, no playing favourites, blow Gnome into Extras too, turn
>>the actual 'core' into something that is good for Firewalls, routers,
>>server duties AND the basis of a Desktop box.
>>

>The Centos guys have re-rolled a single-CD server install which
>is very handy.  Fedora could do a similar version and come up
>with a scheme to pick one of a set of package lists that yum
>could then install to get a system configured for any other purpose.

Yeah, I was thinkning something like that could be done.
Debian has a similar option, don´t they? Only without a groOvy
graphical install interface like anaconda.
It would install on the very basics, and then you would choose what
to install from the repos...right?
And, in that way, I could DL and install only KDE, without getting the
default
Gnome, too, right?
I think that´s a great idea!
BTW, I am beginning to understand the concept of moving KDE to extras,
and, after all, it doesn´t sound like it would do any harm.
Nonetheless, the option of a FC install W/O gnome sure appeals to me, too.

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233