Mixing HTTPS and HTTP Virtual Hosts in Apache

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Jun 7 18:39:39 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:21 AM -0500 Matthew Benjamin
<msbenjamin12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The ssl configuration is not done in the httpd.conf file, it is done
> in the ssl.conf file. (This is true at least for my Apache servers I have
> installed. (Apache 2)  I believe this is true for everyone else as well.

This is a packaging artifact, but a useful one. The main httpd.conf file
includes the /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf files. This allows other packages to
provide their own configuration without needing the main httpd.conf file to
be edited.

SSL support is provided as an optional subpackage by providing the Apache
configuration as an include file, ssl.conf.

I use this same mechanism to isolate all my virtual hosts in their own
.conf files. I also serve several web folders and several Subversion
version control repositories from my Apache setup, and each gets its own
.conf file. The ssl.conf file is really just a virtual host configuration
block separated to its own config file for ease of management.