kde in extras - the devel discussion

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 21:33:10 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:39 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > All very well for experienced users and for those with high speed
> > connections for the downloads.
>
> No different from the boat they're in now.  Download Core ISO, and three
> others.  Still a lot to download, whether KDE is on the first or last
> disc.  Likewise for Gnome, OpenOffice.org, et al.

Of course it is different:
1) Buy a CD from a vendor:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors
2) A current FC user passes on the already burnt CDs to a newbie friend

> > However I can see new users having major problems. That is unless it's
> > made "very very" easy to install other packages and groups of packages.
> > Remember a new user doesn't want to have to learn about core and extras
> > and the difference. Nor does she/he want to know all about yum. They just
> > want a system that works "out of the box".
>
> Done properly, it shouldn't be any worse than having to install from
> more than one disc, as we already do.

If so, then that would be great.

> We already have a small "rescue" disc.  People can get that, or leave
> it, as they want to.  I think the first install disc should be just as
> small.  Enough to make a working system, enough to be able to add extra
> stuff *from* as system installed by that disc, and enough to start an
> installation with that disc and insert others as needs be (as we do
> now).
>
> Just make the first disc small, so those wanting a real core-only system
> can have it.  Then you can build up from other discs, downloaded files,
> or whatever...

Just out of curiousity, what do you consider to be a core-only system,
or is there an objective definition so that I can better understand
what you mean when you say that.

> --
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

> --

To be updated...