Yum Update Dep error

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Jun 7 21:38:32 UTC 2006

At 5:28 AM +0930 6/8/06, Tim wrote:
>e.g. yum --exclude=evolution\* update
>
>I don't know about the need for escaping the wildcard, though.  I've not
>tried that sort of thing.  I wouldn't have thought it necessary, as
>you're not listing local files, you're providing a package name to the
>program.

The command shell you're typing into (bash) doesn't know that.  All it sees
is characters with a shell glob in them, and it tries to expand the glob
before passing the command line to the command, leaving the glob if it
finds no matches.  By escaping or quoting, you are telling the shell not to
try to expand the glob, so it will be left for the command to use (or not)
no matter what files are in the file path (the current directory in this
case).