Pam Keyring Problem

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jun 14 08:28:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Chris Maiden wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the advice regarding Pam Keyring yesterday! Installed it OK and
> logged out and back in again and I was not asked for the default keyring
> password so I assumed all was ok...
>
> However - I had not used the same password for the keyring as my login
> password so this morning when I powered up - there was the screen asking me
> for the password.
>
> So I read a bit more and discovered that I needed to change the default
> keyring password to match. There was a "Testing" package that enabled me to
> do that so...
>
> Now this is where I think I've done something silly...
>
> I downloaded the "Testing" pam_keyring-0.0.8.tar.gz package, rm'd the
> previous package and ./configure runs ok but when I make it seems to go wrong
> here...

Did you install the previous package as an RPM or with
configure/make/make install?

>> gcc -g -Werror -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
>> -I/usr/include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
>> -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -o pam-keyring-tool pam-keyring-tool.o
>> -lpam -lgnome-keyring
>> pam-keyring-tool.o: In function `pam_keyring_change_password':
>> /usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8/src/pam-keyring-tool.c:205: undefined
>> reference to `gnome_keyring_change_password_sync'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[2]: *** [pam-keyring-tool] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8/src'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Now I think it's because I just rm'd the old package and did not make
> uninstall?

It looks like in the step that links all the compiled object files and
library references, there's one missing.  Either something is broken in
the build itsef or you are missing a -devel RPM with a library that is
needed.  Looking at the site, did you get all of the pam_keyring package,
the gnome-keyring package, and the gnome-keyring-manager package?

> So I think I need some guidance as how to recover from this situation.

I wonder why you didn't just install the prebuilt RPMs?  It looks like the
gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager packages are designed to replace
the ones that come with FC5. It's a bad idea to replace RPM-ed software
with non-RPM-ed software unless you seriously know what you are doing.  If
the developer offers pre-built FC5 RPMs, then you should use them.

> One thing I tried was to download the first package again and installed that
> - it seemed to go ok and then I did a make uninstall but when I tried with
> the testing package I got the same result as before.

I don't think that's your problem.  There's a pretty good chance that your
system is now clean of the old package, so I'd try installing the RPMs.

HTH.
..

--
 		Matthew Saltzman