Pam Keyring Problem

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:59:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Chris Maiden wrote:

> Thanks Matthew
>
>> Did you install the previous package as an RPM or with configure/make/make
>> install?
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
>> It looks like in the step that links all the compiled object files and
>> library references, there's one missing.  Either something is broken in the
>> build itsef or you are missing a -devel RPM with a library that is needed.
>> Looking at the site, did you get all of the pam_keyring package, the
>> gnome-keyring package, and the gnome-keyring-manager package?
>
> I didn't get them all but I have now - thanks :)
>
>> I wonder why you didn't just install the prebuilt RPMs?  It looks like the
>> gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager packages are designed to replace
>> the ones that come with FC5. It's a bad idea to replace RPM-ed software
>> with non-RPM-ed software unless you seriously know what you are doing.  If
>> the developer offers pre-built FC5 RPMs, then you should use them.
>>

> I didn't know - I just installed apache, php and mysql from src so I assumed
> that this was the best way... I don't seriously know what I am doing so I
> noted your comment... thanks

Just a point of information, FC comes with pretty recent apache, php, and
mysql RPMs.  Again, installing from RPM is recommended unless there is a
compelling reason to do otherwise.  That way, other FC5 RPMs that depend
on that software know where to find it.  Also, you don't have to worry
about tracking updates.

>> I don't think that's your problem.  There's a pretty good chance that your
>> system is now clean of the old package, so I'd try installing the RPMs.
>
> Ok I got all the packages (rpm)
>
> I used rpm -Uvh but the replacement gnome-keyring gave an error...
>
> rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        gnome-keyring = 0.4.9 is needed by (installed)
> gnome-keyring-devel-0.4.9-1.i386
>
> So I did rpm -Uvh with gnome-keyring-devel-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
>
> That installed ok and so did
> gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0-3.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
> and pam_keyring-0.0.8-2.fc5.i386.rpm
>
> I tried
> rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm again but it gave the
> same error
>
> The instruction on the site to change the password is this...
> /usr/libexec/pam-keyring-tool -c
> but I just get the error
> pam-keyring-tool: error retrieving default keyring

What is the result of "rpm -qa | grep keyring"?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu