Dead disk

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:21:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 13:25 +0000, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> After some uptime, my system hangs- it is not responsive to keyboard
> nor mouse. The red disk light is not on, and there is not response to
> CTRL-ALT-DEL or any other keypresses. This is on a one-hour old
> system. The last system, Kubuntu did the same thing. This started
> abouth two weeks ago, but has been becoming more frequent. The machine
> is a P4 256MG RD-RAM machine. Does this seem to be a hardware fault?
> How can I check it? Thanks.
>
> Note that I have a copy of Hiren Boot Disk, with many tools. I have
> tried to use them to find problems with the hardware, but have found
> nothing. Note, however, that I don't really know what I'm doing.

My new machine was starting to flake out on me, kernel panics, rebooting
as a result by itself. Then the power supply conked out. I took it back
to the dealer who said 'something must have spiked it..." I said, "Yeah,
right! It's on a battery backup UPS so nothing spiked it, it just died!"
and gave him the 1000 yard stare. Now it's working without the panics
just fine. The slightly low voltage before she blows will create weird
stuff happening on your machine. Ric