Maxtor or WD?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:17:58 UTC 2006

On 15/06/06, LinuxMedia <linuxmedia2 at netscape.net> wrote:
>  > I bought a Maxtor 160GB 8MB cache IDE hard drive
>  > that Fedora Core 5 would not install to. I've
>  > replaced it with an identical Western Digita
>  > unit, and it's installing now. What would cause
>  > this, and how can I be sure that I won't get
>  > myself into another similar mess in the future?
>  > Should I file a bug?
>
> I don't know if it's related, but I've replaced several Maxtor Drives
> and decided to go with other brands eventually. This could be due to the
> fact that the PC was open all the time and the drives weren't in their
> bay. Maybe they weren't being cooled properly. I see someone mentioned
> they run hot. But I never had a problem with any other brands. And did I
> read that Maxtor doesn't support all the features of proper error
> checking? I don't know much about that area, seems I read that though.
>
> Rocco

One good thing that I can say about the Maxtor drive is that 160 GB
turned out to be a little over 163 usable gigabytes. The 160 GB WD
unit has about 152 usable gigabytes of storage. That's an 11 GB
difference- more than half the size of the drive in the wife's
machine! Too bad I couldn't get Fedora to install on it. Ubuntu also
would not install on it.

Dotan Cohen
http://essentialinux.com
52