USB card readers

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 16 16:52:55 UTC 2006

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Are USB card readers (the type that support multiple "media" cards)
> fairly well supported nowadays?  Could I go buy one, plug it into my
> Fedora Core 4 laptop, and just have it work, or do I have to be careful
> and buy only certain brands/models?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ranbir

I have not had a problem with FC4 recognizing readers.  What I have had
is a problem with the reader recognizing the SD card.  My home one is a
no-name clearance sale item from a grocery store electronics section.  I
wish I had grabbed a couple as it is also a USB hub.

I just ran into a headache where two out of four USB card readers
wouldn't read my 2Gig SD card.  This was in both Linux and Windows.

I tried two different readers from one manufacture, one read and the
other didn't.  The newer one was the one that didn't work.  Go figure.

--
Robin Laing