Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

S.W. Bobcat swbobcat at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:04:52 UTC 2006

HUMMMMMMMMM,   That *is* interesting: I have round cables and they are
clearly marked. Master is at the *end* of the cable, the Slave is in the
*middle*.  I too had wondered about this and called some tech company about
where the master and slave are on a ribbon cable and was told the Master is
*ALWAYS* at the *end*, and the Slave is *ALWAYS* in the *middle*..  Dotan
*might* want to try it both ways, he might also want to check that the *red
stripe* is connected to pin #1.

The other thing he should check is the drive configuration.  *Most* drives
will allow you to select either Master, Slave, or [ I think ] Select
somethingoeranother.  The Select somethingoranother is *suppose* to allow
you to put the drive and any part of the cable, but it is far better if he
configures it so that the drive is jumpered as either a Master or a Slave
and put at the correct  (or so I have been told) position on the cable ie
either at the end (Master) , or in the middle (Slave).  I was just looking
at ta strange drive ( a Maxtor  Model 71336A ) and it is configured *only*
for a Master drive, and you can't change it ie. your stuck using it as a
Master, and the second drive will have to be configured as a slave.
Supposedly there is a jumper somewhere on it  (J20), but I can't find it, so
it is probably hardwired.  Generally I have found that it works best  -- if
you have two IDE mobo connectors ( 4 IDE devices ) is to put *one*  HD on
each connector as a a master drive and make the DVD, floppy, ZIP drive, etc,
the Slaves.

Hope this helps.

Bob