Auto Start an XServer Application

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Sat Jun 17 20:00:39 UTC 2006

Greeting Forum,

I have 2 questions about starting up an Xserver application and hope
that some one will be able to answer me on them.

1. I have Xgl & Compiz installed and running on my Fedora 5 with nVidia
GeForce 5200 Graphics card and was wondering how I can auto start the
command.

Usually, after I login through KDE session, I open a terminal and run
"#compiz --replace ..." but it would be nice if I could auto start this
for  all sessions after the xserver starts up. Any ideas on this one?

2. Currently, I have to login to a gnome or kde session and then start
the application like OpenOffice Writer or Presenter. We are building a
small LiveCD demo and what I would like is for the Xserver to start up
and then start Presenter in full-screen without having to go through the
kde or gnome login procedure since in this case we would like to boot
right into the OpenOffice Presenter presentation after which they can go
into a demo or play another presentation.

Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lonnie